A walkthrough of how I made the boot covers for my Tear Grants cosplay. It was tons of work, a lot of frustration, and I hated nearly every minute of it, but it was worth it in the end! Find me on Facebook
Great work! I have a question: with the last step, do yo mean you covered the sole of the boot with the duct tape to get the "white look"? Is the only thing I didn't understood ^_^ Thanks for the tutorial
On the boots I bought, there was a rubber ridge around where the sole met the rest of the boot and it was brown. I put the thin white duct tape around that so that the bottom of the tape met the sole and covered the ridge and part of the white fabric (making a seam sort of). The actual soles are still brown, but you can't tell by looking at them I hope that was the explanation you were looking for? If not, let me know and I'll try to help with whatever it is you still need ^_^
Ooooh I see!! Yup, now I understand it It's a very good idea. Thank you very much!! Could I ask you something more? I'm making a pair of boot covers and I was thinking in use hotglue just as you made, to fix the fabric to the boot and cut the excess. Is this a durable method or does the fabric fall out or peel from the boot as time goes by and you walk around? Thank you, you're very kind ^_^
Depending on the material of the boot/fabric, you may have to occasionally reapply the hot glue. For mine, the glue sticks fine to the suede fabric but occasionally comes off of the rubber part. They only ever start to come undone toward where the boot curves inward so even if I'm walking around all day outside in the heat, the tape over it makes it so you wouldn't notice any problems unless you held them up close to your face. I just make sure to check them before I wear them and if need be, I'll retouch them up with more hot glue. Something I found to be really helpful to make the glue hold stronger is to make your boot more textured where you are gluing. For instance, after I noticed it had come unglued the first time, I used an exacto knife to cut the rubber ridge that I glued the fabric to. It holds a lot better now!